Jellyfish (scientific name Cnidaria Scyphozoa Aurelia) are gelatinous, free-swimming creatures common throughout all oceans of the world. On the show, Jellyfish are featured very prominently. Jellyfish Fields, a major location in the SpongeBob SquarePants universe, is home to over 4,000,000 jellyfish. The hunting and catching of jellyfish, known as Jellyfishing, is a popular hobby among sea folk, most notably SpongeBob and Patrick. It is similar to butterfly catching and is typically done only for fun/sport, with the jellyfish being released unharmed. Jellyfish appear in almost all SpongeBob video games, typically as basic enemies. They are usually caught using Jellyfish Nets or jars
Jellyfish live in Jellyfish Fields. They playfully allow themselves to be caught (jelly fishing) by SpongeBob andPatrick while other times they playfully sting them which is a running gag. They are in tune with nature and have great rhythm. They are a constant presence in Bikini Bottom. They also allow SpongeBob to squirt out jelly fish jelly which is especially tasty. While most others dare not trespass in Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob loves them all.
Jellyfish in SpongeBob SquarePants are portrayed in a stereotypically cartoonish manner, and are typically pink in color. In the same manner as snails are likened to cats and worms are likened to dogs, Jellyfish display many qualities of bees. They produce edible jelly in the same manner bees produce honey, and their stings have similar effects to those of bees, often causing swollen bumps (in real life, a jellyfish's sting can range from mild to life-threatening). They also make a buzzing sound just like bees, are very small compared to main characters. Since Bikini Bottomites are stated to be only smaller than a humans foot shown in spongebob squarepants the movie, this would make jellyfish almost microscopic.
- Pink Jellyfish - The most common jellyfish.
- Blue Jellyfish - A rarer kind of jellyfish. In "Revenge of the Flying Dutchman", blue jellyfish move in a circle. In "Battle for Bikini Bottom", they have 2 health rather than 1. On the show, one appears in the episodeJellyfish Hunter and is called No-Name by SpongeBob until the end, where it is renamed FriendJellyfish NetAdded by Rob Gaylord. It also told spongebob to 'bring it on' earlier in the episode, marking the first time a jellyfish has spoken.
- Blue Crested Blaster - a very rare type of jellyfish that has a rooster like crest.
- Speckled Squirter - a seven tentacle purple jellyfish that squirts jelly from it's main body, rather than it's tentacles.
- Two-Fisted Jumper - an orange jellyfish with three tentacles and two fists used from jumping on the ground.
- Golden Throated Stinger - a singing gold jellyfish with four small tentacles and one larger arrowhead tentacle.
- Glowing Threespot- a glowing pink jellyfish with three spots. Rare Breed.
- Queen Jellyfish - Massive jellyfish that rule over a family/hive. A giant jellyfish, although not specifically designated as a queen, first appears in "Jellyfishing". A robotic version piloted by Kevin the Sea Cucumber appears in "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic". Giant/queen jellyfish also appear as bosses in several video games
- Five-Spotted Jellyfish - A rare breed of jellyfish, caught by Patrick Star.
- Four Stingers - A Jellyfish with no spots at all appeared in Tea at the Treedome, and the title card for You Don't Know Sponge.
- Albino Jellyfish- a extremly rare jellyfish mentiond by Spongebob in "Secret Box"
- Doodle jelly- seen in Frankendoodle.
- Squid jelly drawing-seen in Frankendoodle
- Nature pants-a spongebob version of a jellyfish. Seen in Nature Pants
- Jellions- A alien/jellyfish created by the Evil Alien Jellyfish Overlord. They only appear in Planet of the Jellyfish. They have the ability to eat people and create Clones in their place. They also have big, black eyes. Unlike regular jellyfish, they cannot sting.
- King Jellyfish - The king of all jellyfish, wears a royal crown and cape. It is attracted to queen jellyfish and very much enjoys pie very well . Its binomial genomic title is Cnidaria rex. Appears in "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic." King Jellyfish is a boss in the video game "Battle for Bikini Bottom" and "SpongeBob SquarePants: The Yellow Avenger."
- No name/Friend - A mysterious blue jellyfish that appears in "Jellyfish Hunter". Named so because he was the only jellyfish in Jellyfish Fields who SpongeBob has never been able to catch and give a name to. He later helps SpongeBob stop Mr. Krabs, and is renamed "Friend".
- Big Lenny - An enormous and dangerous jellyfish whose stings are almost always fatal. The only person known to have survived one is named Doctor Manowar, who has a gigantic swelling on the side of his head as a result. This swelling only hurts when someone touches it. Big Lenny could be a Man O War or a box jellyfish as their stings are known to kill people. Big Lenny is seen in "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic" as a picture and in the PC game "Operation Krabby Patty" during the jellyfishing game.
- Jeffrey the Jellyfish - A mascot of the bi-annual jellyfishing convention, seen in "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic". A man in a Jeffrey costume is captured by Patrick, who idolizes the character.
- Dragon Jellyfish - A giant "dragon" controlled by Planktonamor that terrorizes the people of medieval Bikini Bottom.
- Jamming Jellyfish- A jellyfish that SpongeBob brings home as a pet in "Jellyfish Jam". SpongeBob and the jellyfish have a disco party. It then invites hundreds of other jellyfish to SpongeBob's house, which they invade and throw a massive dance party in.
- Queen Jellyfish - a massive jellyfish that made her debut in the episode "Jellyfishing". She made her second appearance in the episode "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic," but was just a robot controlled by Kevin andThe Jellyspotters. Her most recent appearance was in the Atlantis SquarePantis video game as an enemy that Plankton controlled.
- 'Great-White Jellyfish - 'A giant white jellyfish that appeared in Revenge of the Flying Dutchman. It has a flat top that people can ride on. SpongeBob would have to stay atop it in order to get a letter.
- Yellow Jellyfish' - In Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, they are the only ones to sting when one come across them.